Saturday, May 31, 2008

Temperature Extremes = Amazingness

Hooray I am finally here!!! I am typing this message from the Coast International Inn, in Anchorage, AK. My co-intern Robin and I arrived at 11:15 Alaska time, and the sun didn't set until about 40 minutes ago, so I am just now becoming tired. When we flew in the first sight we were privileged to see was all the huge snow-covered mountains that surround Anchorage!!! I think I am still in awe.
This entire last week has basically been a blur. I flew into Houston on Sunday night, proceeded to meet a ton of people (there are 97 interns placed all over the US, 6 of which are going to be in AK), and then promptly forgot about 2/3 of their names. The whole week we have been sitting in rooms learning about the history of Schlumberger, what is expected of a field engineer intern, and what the different sections of Schlumberger do. The main sections that I remember right now (it is late and I am very tired) are Western Geco (seismic readings/interpretation), Drilling and Measurements (my section!!!), and Wireline (similar to D&M, but with smaller tools). I would make an attempt to explain what D&M actually does, but I think that is a job for another, more awake, time.
Some of my favorite things about the week were the people and the hands on training. My roommate for the week was Stephanie, she goes to Cornell, and is pretty cool. However, she is going to Wyoming so I will probably never see her again. This is case with almost all of the people I met last week with the exception of the Alaska interns. I also met some KU people who I actually liked. Yes, this shocked me too. :D Finally, one of the coolest things about the week was that not only did I get to meet and hang out with the recruiters on a daily basis, but I also got to meet various managers and important people. I got to talk with the Personnel Manager for all of North America, as well as the D&M training manager for all of North America. And it wasn't for 5 minutes. The D&M training manager, 3 other people, and I talked for about 2 hours this morning. So cool!
I can't think of anything else to type right now. I believe that my brain has officially stopped working. So goodnight, and I will hopefully type more tomorrow. Or Sunday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becca...Glad you're there, safe and sound, I hope. Get some rest. We'll all be looking forward to your next post.

Love you,

G'ma J

Anonymous said...

Becca,
Sara and I own stock in Slumberger, so we now know that our investment is safe not that you are on board to keep the company profitable. Most flights into Anchorage get in around midnight like yours did and the planes turn around and fly out around 1 am. I think one of the really beautiful sights is flying over the glaciers about 1/2 hour out of anchorage on a moon-light night. Scott loved Alaska for the 3 1/2 years that he lived there and I love it too from the three times that I have visited. Of course, I have not spent a winter there either. Scott had a book, something liek 'Alaska's 100 Best Hikes' and he was working down the list, but hadn't done nearly all of them when he left. If you like to fish, the Kings should be running now and the Chum, Pinks, Reds, and Silvers coming in turn. Don't expect to catch a King without a guide/outfitter, but the rest are catchable on streams that you can drive to though it will be combat fishing. Have a good time there for me as I am really envious.
Love,
Uncle Charley

Anonymous said...

Becca-last year Chuck and I flew into Anchorage on June 5th at about 11:30 Alaska time and we never did see it get really dark before it started to get light again - just kind of dusk/dawn. Will look forward to your next post. Mary

Anonymous said...

Becca - Love the blog - we can enjoy your experiences too!! I'm glad you are going to be the sixth for two months. What an adventure for you! Take care, get some rest and am looking forward to reading your blog! Aunt Jan (Cousin Jan) from Manhattan, KS. It's 7:30 am here - what time is it there? jp

Anonymous said...

So I'm behind on the blogs and trying to catch up today! Of course there are KU student that you don't hate. I was almost a KU student and I'm sure you love me ;)
~Tracy