Monday, June 2, 2008

A cause for celebration

It finally happened! We have some semblance of a schedule! This morning we went to the Anchorage office of Schlumberger and met the majority of the management for Alaska (yet again, all of them were really nice and friendly) and we had meetings until lunch, and then were set free for the day. After they fed us, of course. Hearing country music in a barbeque place in Alaska is a bit odd, to be entirely honest, but the food was amazing, of course. I am getting off topic, however. We found out today that we will be getting two weeks on and one off. However, we will not know until we reach the Slope (flying out on Wednesday afternoon!) which weeks they will be. So I might actually only have to work one to start with, or I might work 3, get one off, then come back for 2 and actually start a real schedule. The nice thing, is that I will always be off at the same time as at least one other intern, so I will have someone to hike with when I am in Anchorage. My coveralls (or smurf suit...) haven't come to Anchorage yet, but I really hope they will arrive before I head up to Prudhoe Bay, or else they will have to be shipped and I will have to wear borrowed ones until then. :(
We also learned that even though we were given green hardhats by Schlumberger, they won't ever get to see action, because BP is now requiring that all nonpermanent workers wear orange hardhats while up there. Since Schlumberger is basically a contractor for BP...oh well. I get to keep the green hardhat, though, so I think I might just wear it for the entire trip back Kansas. Planes are dangerous places, you know!
Anyway, I am going to start unpacking because we have finally been put in corporate apartments (WOOT!) and I need to find out where all the stuff is I randomly shoved in my suitcase this morning in the hotel. I kind of woke up later than I wanted to. Oops.

No comments: