Thursday, July 9, 2009

Success!!!

We Td'ed (drilled to the ending point) the well!!! You have no idea the extent of my happiness right now. To be honest, the well itself has not been too bad. Yes, we had problems with it a couple times, but it was all the circumstances surrounding the well that led to it being frustrating at times. Generators going down in 110 degree heat (this means that the people sleeping during that time get...kinda warm, to say the least), pumps failing, clashing guy personalities, etc; all of these things led to it being tiring at times.

However, it was actually a pretty interesting and almost fun experience. I have some awesome co-workers, I learned an incredible amount, I got to eat homemade cajun, sri lankan, mexican, and south texas food. So, basically, everything spicy. I want to ask for recipes, but I know there is no way in heck I will be able to replicate these foods.

I got to run on country roads again. I kind of missed it because those are the first places I ran with Dad. The scenery I see while running down here is just as beautiful as kansas, but in a little different way. Here there are less trees, more shrubs, and no grass. All you see is the stark contrast of scraggly, green bush and light tan, dusty road with rocks. The bushes down here are what I imagine a human would look like if she or he worked really hard every day out in the sun for their whole life. Weathered, but tough. Also, down here I run slow, similar to when I started running to begin with Dad. Back then, my goal was to not die while trying to keep up with the Energizer Bunny that is my father. Now I wanted to avoid respraining my ankle again (we have some huge chunks of gravel all over the place). Never bitten by a rattlesnake, though, despite the directional driller's frequently spoken concerns.

It amazes me that I am not turned away or intimidated by the oil field sometimes. It is dirty, gross, long hours, remote locations, and has crazy people. I have met men who become angry and racist when under pressure, and I have met others who can work for 21 hours straight and still crack a smile throughout the night, get up and come into work 3 hours later. I have seen what happens when equipment fails while drilling (not pretty), people who don't perform to the level that the company exactly wants (they get run off rigs), how a night of stress for someone can end up in a yelling, vulgar, almost physical fight, and what happens when the stress of living this lifestyle gets to someone who might not be prepared for it (complete breakdowns). And yet, I want to be here. Undoubtedly.

My friends don't understand why I don't want an office job with air freshner, business casual dress code, going out for drinks after work on friday, and a 2 day weekend every week with holidays off; I can't give them an answer that satisfies them. All they say is "you're crazy..." My question, though, is "don't you long for adventure???" I want to see unique places, eat some crazy food that might give make me sick or be the best thing I've ever had in my life, learn a foreign language or two and actually get to USE it, get on a plane and have to figure out the town I am living in/near when I get there, see yet another breathtaking sunset, work a crazy schedule, and meet people have the same dreams as me. One day I'll want an office, probably. Not now. Give me a rig, adventure, foreign country...I am there.

Finally, I am excited to go back to Louisiana. I have a project to work on, stuff to learn, people to hang out with, and a pool to inhabit for multiple hours a day. It will be a nice break.

I miss you guys, and hope your week is going amazingly well.

Love you.

No comments: