Wednesday, July 1, 2009

PRECIPITATION!!!

It rained tonight!!!!! The first time I have ever been on a rig when precipitation is occurring. It was marvelous.

I jumped out the door to walk back to camp and no dust flew up under my feet. It was warm, but the beating down of the late afternoon sun was gone, hidden behind the lovely dark grey clouds currently pouring water down on me. My hard hat deflected the drops from my head and face, but the Nomex suit I was wearing barely even slowed them down. For the first time, in almost 4 weeks, I believe I felt a little bit of something I’d like to call “cold” when I was in the outdoors. I briefly debated the merits of dancing in the rain on the dirt pad the oil rig stands upon, but sadly, I shot the idea down. Being the only woman on this rig, I try really hard NOT to stand out as being “different” more than I absolutely have to. Dancing in the rain might be an attention getter. So, I will just have to wait until I am in Lafayette again, or even Kansas, before I dance in the rain again. Besides, I have a rain-dancing date with my friend Heather; I wouldn’t like to start early without her.

The other night engineer that I work with, Justin, laughingly says that I am crazy and who would want to go outside and get wet and muddy? “Psh,” I say. Who can say that they have truly lived and enjoyed life until they’ve gone outside in a rainstorm and just….been a part of it? So, for all of you Kansans who are at home right now, I have a favor to ask. Next time it starts to precipitate, whether it is pouring down like crazy, or dropping light sprinkles on the ground, just take a wander outside; walk around; maybe do a funky little dance or a waltz or tango…I will be right beside you, dancing in spirit.

I love you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Becca...Are you back in LA? or still in TX?

Hope all is going well for you. We're hanging in there!

Love you,

G'ma J

Becca said...

I am still in Texas. I should be back in LA by Saturday. If nothing else goes wrong on this rig. :D Cross your fingers for us down here.

I am glad everyone is good! I hope you have a wonderful week.

Love you too!