Friday, July 16, 2010

One Week

Here it is! In 7 days exactly I will be flying from the United States of America to the United Arab Emirates. In 16 days I will be flying into Labuan Malaysia!!! It's kind of surreal and incredibly scary at this point. This is the part of the adventure where the heroine is standing at the edge of the cliff and she has one step to take and if she takes it there is no going back. It is impossible to walk back onto a precipice that has been left. Nothing will ever be exactly the same. When I come back to visit my home,  people will be different and places will have changed. Even if they don't change all that much, I will. I cannot even fathom the places I will be or the experiences I will have. The towers, mountains, oceans, people, rigs, food, wildlife, weather...I don't know what it will be like, and I am so excited!

I do get to see all of my siblings one more time, which I am excited about. James is visiting this weekend, Amanda and Erik will be around for my grandfather's birthday on Sunday and then potentially lunch on Monday, and I will see Helen, Ross, and my unborn niece on Tuesday (hopefully). My boyfriend, Adam, is coming up for the week starting on Saturday evening, which I am incredibly excited about! I get to eat dinner with my parents a couple more times and watch them argue about nonsensical things over the dinner table, which to be entitrely honest, might make me a bit teary. I can't remember a dinner growing up when dad didn't say something ridiculous and mum didn't take him to task for it.

Next Friday, Adam is taking me to the airport in Manhattan. My flight leaves for Dallas at 12:05 pm and I will probably be ridiculously emotional on it. I'll miss him. We're going to try and see if we can successfully handle a uber-super-long distance relationship which I am totally up for! It's something I said I would never do,but now I can't imagine not doing it. Maybe I just didn't meet a guy that was worth making the effort for before. :)

I'll fly from Manhattan to Dallas to Chicago, and then 13 hours after leaving chicago, I arrive in Abu Dhabi. I'll be picked up at the airport and put in a hotel with a welcome package and a stipend for food for the 7 days following it. So much stuff to do!! And yes, I haven't packed yet. Wish me luck!!!

Love,

Becca

No comments: