Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Post 100...Accomplishment?

I believe, unless my math is mistaken, that this is my 100th post. I feel like this is kind of impressive for someone has thrown away countless diaries given to her by well meaning relatives because writing down events and things were just too tedious to spend time on.

However more interesting is that 100 is close to the number 103, which is the name of the camp that Schlumberger employees (and some contractors) are currently holed up in someplace in the desert in Libya, trying to wait patiently for evacuation by whatever method(s) the Crisis team for their country is currently cooking up.  If you haven't been able to keep up with the news, the Eastern half of Libya is now taken over by anti-Ghadafi rebels and they are gunning for Tripoli (where, yes, more of our employees are staying in houses).  One recent report from an engineer recalls how he booked a flight out of Libya on Sunday because his friends in East Libya told him to evacuate. Overnight while they were waiting before going to the airport they could hear machine gun fire less that 500 m from their house. Then when they were headed to the airport they were stopped by men with automatic weapons who pointed the guns at him and his wife until they realized they had small children in the car, and allowed them to leave.

It's kind of incredible that we get to be witness to this much history being made! Tunisia, Egypt, Bahrain, Yemen, Iran, Libya...who's next?

In other news, I was told my my manager earlier this week that I might be going to Brunei

 http://maps.google.com.my/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=Brunei

later this week, but I haven't heard anything from him since Monday, so I will just be patient and see. We've heard nothing more from America about when/where I might be going, so I am still wonderfully stuck in limbo for the time being.

I am really bad about remembering to give my address to people who ask for it, so, if you would like it and do not have it :
Rebecca Burns
Schlumberger Asian Supply Base Ranca-Ranca Industrial Estate
Labuan, Malaysia 87008

I had another culinary success this week, which is helping me become incredibly more confident in my abilities to use my oven here. I've always wanted to make lasagna from scratch, but have always been too chicken. So when I found ground (minced!) beef in a market, a small bag of shredded cheese, and pre-cooked lasagna noodles, I thought, "why not?!" Since finding ricotta or cottage cheese is not a possibility here, I looked up recipes that didn't include them. Also, to replace them, I put carrots and green peppers in my filling. Awesome choice because it was delicious!! I made biscuits along with them, and have been taking it to work for lunch which definitely makes my lunches a little wonderful. I also found a chocolate drop cookie recipe that is a success with the technicians and I can't wait to make for you guys sometime.

I had an unexpected guest this week. Ma Jing (my housemate who I rarely see) had some days post-Chinese New Year and pre-rig, so she brought her mom back from China with her to visit. Her mom is a physics teacher in China and a really nice lady all around. She also cooks much more than her daughter. However, Ma Jing had to leave for the rig a day and a half early while her mom stayed in our house. Which, is totally fine, except....her mom speaks almost no english. I definitely speak no Chinese (though I do know how to say "I love you").  The first evening was pretty awkward, but we muddled through with hand gestures, pictures from the internet (THANK YOU INTERNET!) and friendly silence. She taught me how to make won-tons and I taught her how to make chocolate cookies. The second day I came home from work with a headache and she went out to swim, and so there was less interaction, but it was still enjoyable to have her around. She was an incredibly nice person.

Anyway, I should probably start working.  I am so tired though! I just want to sleep :)

Hope you all have a warm relaxing sleep this evening.

Becca

No comments: