Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Unpleasant Business of Waiting...

Some things in my life are worth waiting for; Adam, plane flights to exciting places, revolutions, ice cream cones, cookies that are baking, and rainstorms. However, there are so many things that I feel are not. Opportunities that I have already worked for, information that has been promised, and the chance to actually start my career after working in a company for 7 months. Yes, I have worked for SLB for 7 months and I am still stuck on this island in Malaysia doing very little related to my actual job.  I was thinking about it today, and I don't think I am upset because I am waiting to go to rigs. I am upset because I uprooted my entire life and everything that I've previously known because I was promised a job opportunities and the chance to accelerate my career by working internationally.  These things haven't been fulfilled in the slightest yet. They said the JOB would be a challenge. The job, is not a challenge right now. And even living here isn't that much of a challenge anymore. I've found meat, cheese, dishes I can eat. I know how to get most medicines and clothes I need. I have conquered the fear of running outside, and I am even learning squash.


However, this is not the challenge I wanted. If I wanted a lifestyle challenge I could've gone on a mission trip to Ghana for 2 months. If I can't be on rigs for this long, why didn't they just leave me in the US? Then I could talk to my family in their own timezones, visit my baby niece once every two months, and spend time with my boyfriend that is not strictly over skype. I could save a ton on shipping stuff over here, and at least whent he technicians discuss stuff in the shop, I would be able to understand them because they would be speaking English.


Yesterday we had a visit from the VP of Personnel who works in Paris or something. She asked questions and requested that we answer them as honestly as possible. I was incredibly honest. In response to, "Are there a variety of activities to do in Labuan?" I replied in the negative. Also mentioned that there was very little to do unless you felt comfortable watching blatant sex trafficking in clubs in the evening. In response to, "Does the inside of the book match the cover you were shown by the recruiters," I also said yes and no. And then I told them about never going to rigs, and that, honestly, I am basically just waiting until my first year is up so I can quit. Not because I can't leave before then, but because I promised myself one year. If something doesn't drastically change in the next 4 months, I will just pay off my student loans and come back to America.


So, I do apologize for my negativity this evening, but I am just so tired of waiting and being at the mercy of these random managers and their managers and their associated personnel people that seem to not care because I am trainee and no matter how politely and forcefully I push....I seem to get not-very-far.


Updated News :
As of today Total (oil company) has given me permission to come to their rig in Brunei, now we just have to wait on my visa to come through. This could be 1 day, or this could be 4 days. However, as the permission was suppose to have come through last Tuesday, lets just say that I am lacking some faith right now.


America? Well they are still being silent. The personnel manager for Malaysia called my manager today and talked about them/me with him, but I have heard nothing. I asked him what she said and he replied that she was supposed to call me this afternoon. Obviously, did not happen or else there would be other news here.


So, that is where we stand. Cross your fingers for me, and we'll see what happens this week.


Love you all.


Becca

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Rebecca Carol Burns! You are the strongest person I know, so quit your bitchin'!
That being said, I agree that your life is suck-y right now. (Don't read my blog, it's a downer at the moment too:/ ) I can't imagine how frustrated you must be. All I can say about SLB is to hang in there. Just remember how excited you were about the company less than a year ago. Remember Alaska and Louisiana. Remember the good and know that the bad will pass. When? Who knows, but judging by your pro-activity I'm guessing soon.
REMEMBER: It's your life, your destiny, YOUR future. Take some control.
And good luck.

Also, remember we all love you back here!

Kaouthar said...

Or maybe THAT is exactly the challenging part? think it over..

- just an other random SLB FE sent far from her home..

helen said...

Just wanted to let you know: your loyal fan base is rooting for you!