Tuesday, January 17, 2012

On The Topic of Weddings

One of the most life changing events that has happened in the past several months is my marriage to Adam. As an experience, it was awesome! Alternately stressful, fun, exciting, nerve-wracking; it was the perfect wedding for us. And, to not get too mushy, I am so happy to be starting my life with this incredible guy who is not perfect, but is perfect for me. He is opposite of me in so many ways that will keep life interesting, but has similar beliefs and stances on many life issues that will help us have a strong foundation as a couple.

However, when I think about getting married I am a little surprised at myself. I never thought I would (a) meet someone who was worth all the time and effort that being with someone requires or (b) just marry anyone at all.  Looking at my family and background, this would probably seem odd. My parents are amazing and have been married for 30 years (yup, mom and dad, that looks like a crazy long time when I type it here!), and all of my siblings are also married and seem pretty happy. However, I have always had an agenda. Growing up I just wanted to see places! As a freshman in college I got the incredible opportunity to go on a tour of New Zealand, Australia, and Fiji with an orchestra (go French Horns!!) and at that point the travel bug struck and I couldn't imagine not going overseas again.  So I was doubly surprised that after 5 years of college during which I ignored numerous hitting-ons, broke up in relationships because they weren't worth even considering long term things, and shutting down 3 or 4 romantic-ish proposals my senior year because I was going to Malaysia and nothing else mattered...I met Adam. He was interesting, always surprising, fun, and adventurous. I couldn't wait to spend time with him, whether it was making cinnamon rolls at midnight at my apartment (favorite thing about college...weird hours to everyone else, normal to us!) for an event the next day or going hiking on the Konza Prairie.

And then came the niggling thought in the back of my mind...I kind of wasn't sure if I still wanted to go to Malaysia. It's not even that he hinted at wanting me to stay. On the contrary, he told me if I decided not to go he would break up with me :). So I went, we continued to date and even invented skype dating where we would make the same meal together and watch a movie at the same time (I only say "invent" because none of my friends seems to have ever considered it before when I mention it to them). He saw me curled up in a ball on my bed in Malaysia going through the misery of food poisoning and "bad bacteria" (Malaysian doctor's official diagnosis), and celebrated with me when I was having awesome, exciting things happen. I decided at this point that I was definitely not staying in Malaysia permanently. Somehow the future and marriage came up, we talked about it, and for the first time ever, the thought of being permanently "stuck" with someone was actually exciting! He ended up surprising me with a proposal in Barcelona over his spring break and...that, as they say, is that. Granted our timeline has been not quite what we originally thought, but I'd have to say it's working out great just the same.

But it still makes me wonder what 15 yr old me would say to 24 (almost 25!) yr old me. Probably that I am an idiot because I could be having adventures and seriously, how could a boy be cooler than those. My 15 yr old self was a little more close-minded than my current person. She wouldn't have figured out yet that adventures are more fun if you have a co-conspirator, and that having that person there at the end of a day, no matter how good or bad it's gone, is indescribably wonderful. Finally, my 15 year old self never met Adam. I think that if she did, I'd probably get at least a high-five.

So being married is pretty fun, it doesn't feel a whole lot different from being not married as neither of us has changed drastically just because we said "I do." Oddly enough, somehow I miss him more now than I did before, if that is possible. Only 2 months left!!! I can't wait for this next adventure with him!

And with that, the mush has ended, I hope you all have a wonderful day :)

Goodnight.

Becca

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm watching out for him. He sure misses you. Everytime I mention your name to him, he smiles bigger than ever. See you soon and he will be so happy, as will everyone else, to see you again. Take care my dear and be safe. Miss you.-Kim

Tracy said...

I knew from that first time I saw you two together... making out in that Aggieville bar, that he was the one for you. I do have to admit I am surprised, but only in a timeframe sort of way. I guess when you meet that person, you just can't wait. We both know all about agendas, but I'm glad you didn't stick to your's!