Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Cup of Coffee Post

Contrary to what you might think by the title. This is not the sort of post I am writing while drinking a cup of that marvelous liquid that I hold so dear. Instead, I am warning you in advance...

WARNING : This post might be a tad bit long. Though I hope it is an interesting one to you, I think you should pour some caffeinated elixir and grab a piece of toast with Nutella on it before hunkering down to the read. :)

And on we go!

Last time I talked with you, I was studying oilfield material and relaxing in the humid bliss that makes up Louisiana. This has changed. Last Wednesday...or Thursday. I forget which day, I was called up by my FSM (field service manager) while I was working in Youngville and she told me that (a) they had found an oil rig for me to go to, (b)it was in Texas, (c) if I didn't have any plans for that day I was leaving at 1:30 pm. Which, after running around talking to various managers, my FSM, the lady that schedules my flights, and the shuttle driver, I only had about 35 minutes to pack for what the FSM said was a week of work and get to the airport for my flight. Then I flew from Lafayette to Houston and Houston to Laredo, TX.

I was told it was going to be about 105 on average in Laredo. This is a lie. They should've added about 10 degrees because that is what it really is near the oil rig. This is ok, though. I accept it as part of the job. The rig I am on is about a 45 minute drive from Laredo, and about a mile from the US/Mexican border. I've actually seen more Border Patrol cars than I have seen normal cop cars. I live in a large trailer with the other D&M Engg. as well as the DDs (Directional Drillers). We cook and clean for ourselves, so I stopped by the store and bought food (as well as a towel when we went back into town about 4 days later. Drying off after your shower with your t-shirt is really awkward).

All the engineers I work with are extremely nice. The cell manager (head engg) is a hilarious guy named Suthan, who is from Sri Lanka and makes delicious food; there is a trainee who is kinda uptight, but from the midwest, so he automatically ranks as cool; an engineeer from US Land (the land section of Schlumberger) named Jared who drives an enormous blue truck, loves The Office, and is always ready for a joke; and the other night engineer that I worked with, Mark, who is originally from Mexico (and regularly translates what people say down here for me), is extremely nice, has good taste in music, and has the most interestingly cool family I've ever heard of. Sadly, Mark left for a vacation (in London!!) with his girlfriend, but his replacement is a guy named Justin who is from Vietnam, but grew up in Kansas and went to KSU!!! Justin automatically rocked because he has a KSU cover that he says he always takes to rigs with him (rig camps don't always supply all the necessities...).

I work a night tour (pronounced "tower") which is from 6 pm to 6 am. So I sleep from about 8:30 am until 4:30 or 5:00 pm. After waking up I eat, relax for a bit, then head outside to the logging unit, where the normal shift-change chit chat goes on between the day and night crew. After all misunderstandings and issues are cleared up, they go in for the night and Justin and I start our shift. We monitor, make logs, program, etc. Sometimes I play on facebook if it is a slow night, and sometimes I work for hours straight without realizing time has even passed. When I first get up it is still really hot (probably about 110-115 degrees outside) but eventually cools down to a low (and I type this sarcastically) of 80-85 degrees. The A/C unit in the logging unit finally recovers from yesterday's heat at around 2:30 am, so by the time I leave at 6:30 or 7 am, it is nice and cool for the day fellows. After work, I change into shorts and jog down the one country road/driveway that leads to the main country road that goes back to town. It's gorgeous in the morning with the sun just climbing over the horizon and I have a spectacular view of this shrub/desert area that is a lot prettier than it sounds. I am 100 percent scared of running on top of a rattle snake, so I pay attention pretty well to where I am putting my feet while I am out there. After running (and participating in an early morning session of what I like to call "The SouthWest Texas Diet : Sweat until you are skeletal!) I shower, head to bed, and start it all over again. I try to call people occasionally, but I have no signal except for in one exact spot on the entire area, and I can only handle the heat for so long (sorry). I also don't have internet unless I am on tour.

So, yes, I am here until it is finished. The way it looks right now, it will probably be Saturday or Sunday before we head home, but I don't know. We wil see! I really am enjoying myself, and I can't get enough of this job and the life that comes with it. I am working with crazy/unique/interesting people, visiting cool (if, albeit, they are kind of remote) places, and eating delicious food! What more could I ask for??

I love you all and hope Kansas stays cooler than good ol' Texas.

Becca

No comments: