Monday, September 20, 2010

I passed the test!

Sorry I haven't written in awhile! I have been not feeling well, and trying to study for my entrance exam which was today at 2 pm.

Basically I had about a months time in which to take the test, between September 12 and October 10. I decided to take my time and pick a day in the middle that decreased the amount of pressure I felt while taking it. In reality, it is just a test, 108 questions, over things I've been studying since I got to Malaysia. However, the kicker with this test is that (a) there are no legal previous tests to study from and (b) you have 2 chances to pass it. If you get less than a 70 percent the first time, you have one more chance to pass and you must get either an 80 or 85 the second time to pass. If you don't pass the second time, then you are fired. So yeah, I was a little nervous going into it, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I would've loved to get an A, but I passed with a respectable 81 percent instead. So I am officially going to school!!

All I have to do now is study more theory (of course) but in a more relaxed manner, and spend time in the shop working with the technicians and trying to understand the more practical side of what the tools do. There is still so much to learn I don't even know where to start! However, my goal is to be absolutely preprared when I hit the US so I can get off to a running start and really just conquer this school business instead of struggle during it. I already know it will be a lot of powerpoints and a lot of studying. I can do that :)

I did end up going to the doctor again last friday because I am still not feeling well. I actually went to our personnel manager first because I know I don't feel well and am tired of medical personnel telling me that it's just because I eat too many spicy foods, don't eat regular meals, or that I have heartburn. She listened to me completely breakdown in her office (yes, I did cry like a small child while talking to her) and decided that I needed a second opinion so we were going to a different doctors office. Later that day we headed over to a place called Klinik Permai where the doctor was amazing! He listened to me, gave my gallbladder an ultrasound, and prescribed me medicines that actually seem to be working. My headaches are a little better, stomach feels great and I actually feel like I have energy to do things again!

Speaking of energy...Running!! Syafyka and I got to run again Sunday and it was so much fun! We ran for almost 30 minutes and I wasn't sore at all later. It is so awesome to get to run with her! She doesn't stop, which motivates me to continue running even though I would prefer to lay down on the side of the road and sweat to death. It is neat to see that wherever I go I somehow find great people to run with, even though I never expect to. Sadly, she goes back to college in January, so I will just enjoy having a running partner while it lasts!

Also, today we finally have internet! Walking into our house today after work and seeing the router here was like a great christmas present. I am actually typing this from the comfort of our couch in the ac! This definitely beats sitting outside in the wonderful warmth and humidity that is my island home (hey...I am totally not taking the awesome weather here for granted because I do remember what kansas in January feels like!!) getting mosquito bites. I do miss seeing the lizards running on the rails of our fence, though. They are so cute. :)

It is funny that we got internet the day after I had once of my most frustrating internet experiences here. Instead of practicing patience I just gave up yesterday after Adam and I struggled to get any sort of consistent signal during a skype date and then it completely went out last when I was trying to get on again. I definitely didn't handle it well. So I felt a little ridiculous this afternoon when our internet wonderfully appeared in the house. But I do think Syafyka is right; (and I am paraphrasing) but maybe God allows things to become not so great so we can appreciate the awesomness that much more. And (this is my add-on) maybe this is a slight lesson in trusting Him and that He will take care of me at the end of the day, even if I can't quite see how.

So today feels pretty good. I am ready to tackle the rest of this preschool business.  And next week more new people come. A guy from Iraq and a girl from America are coming for D&M. It will be nice to meet another American girl. I hope I can help her transition into Malaysia be a little bit easier than mine has been.

Anyway, I love you all. I hope that your Mondays all start out as well as mine has. Talk to you soon!

Becca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Becca!

Congratulations on passing your test! (We knew you'd do it!)

I am happy to see your new post, and glad you are feeling better...hope it continues.

Looking forward to seeing you at Christmas!

Love you,

G'ma J