Sunday, April 3, 2011

Brunei

If you ever go to an offshore rig, there is always some kind of intermediary point. This point may be a base, a helicopter pad, or, in  my case, a town. This town for me is in Brunei, only a 50 minute ferry ride from Labuan.

What is the town's name, you ask? I don't know. I have been in so many towns and they all have weird names, so at this point I am forgetting them. Plus, I didn't really bother to learn this town's name as I thought I would only be here for 2 days. However, plans change.

Due to a previous job on the rig not being finish, the drilling has been pushed back to Tuesday, and my presence on the rig (because they have to be able to have space for the lone woman..woot!) has been pushed back to Monday, which is fast approaching! Tomorrow at 1 pm I will check in to the helicopter desk at the airport, and then leave an hour later with my offshore and book bags to go to the rig. An offshore bag is just a big duffel bag that is made out of water resistant material. Which, to be honest, I really appreciate because salt-water soaked clothing is uncomfortable.

My manager will be taking me to the rig, and I will be leaving this lovely hotel with its cable, internet, and gym that I've been lounging in for the past couple of days. I did a little bit of walking around, ate at some really good restaruants, watched my first movie in theaters in 4 months, and just had a relaxing good time.

Oh, for the record, Brunei is basically just like Malaysia. However, here you can see Probiscis Monkeys in the wild. I wanted to go on a tour to see them, but you had to have at least 2 people to take the river raft tour thing. Oh well! They weren't particularly cute anyway.

In the past couple days I've seen quite a few movies just because I could. I saw Sucker Punch in theaters and it was extremely depressing, though it had cool action scenes. I also watch Steven Seagal in "A Dangerous Man." I can't say I loved it, but I love how monotone and emotionless he is! I want to watch more of his movies, if only so I can laugh. There was also the new Star Trek movie (always good!), and then my favorite of the 4 days : Invictus. I am not really a huge fan of movies about politics or sports and this is rife with both. However, I think (and you can completely disagree with me) this movie is incredibly, moving, and so exciting!!!! Also the All Blacks (from NZ) doing the Haka at the beginning of the championship match...I'VE SEEN IT IN NEW ZEALAND!!!!! and it was totally cool to know what it was when I saw it in this movie.

Well, that is about it. I am here. I am heading to the rig tomorrow and (sorry) I will have limited internet and communication abilities. However, I will probably be heading off the rig around the 20th of the month, hopefully having learned many many things and having had a really positive experience.

Some things I hope : That Raegan says "Becca" soon. That it gets awesomely warm in Kansas soon and you can gad about in t-shirts and shorts. Also that to all the people I know who are approaching finals (Adam, Tracy, James, Tori, Ginger, Erik), that you rock'em out!

I love you all. I miss you all. And I hope you are having a wonderful week.

Becca

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got your wish, and thank you for wishing it, as today was wonderfully warm, however windy, which I love...I got to wear my summer clothes and work in the yard...however (again) we went out to dinner at 6:30 the temperature was 87 degrees...I told Wendell, "I'll bet the temperature will drop by 20 degrees while we're in the restaurant...missed it. When we came out, it was 73 degrees, but by the time we got home, it was 65 degrees. We now are experiencing wind, hail, rain and rolling thunder that indicates more hail up there rolling around.

Wishing you the best in you "rig experience", and am looking forward to reading more about your experiences as soon as you get internet again.

Love you, G'ma J

Anonymous said...

Saw Adam today-he and you are the greatest-you two are going to have a wonderful life together-See you soon!
Kim

Anonymous said...

Oh, also have a fun time on the rig!!! Kim