Thursday, April 21, 2011

My last post from Asia (at least for the forseeable future)

I am currently sitting at a panini shop in the Singapore airport and this is a wonderful thing for a couple of reasons.

1) I am not in a moving vehicle of some kind
2) I am not expected anywhere for at least an hour and a half
3) I just had a panini and it was delicious.
4) It came with Snapple. Also delicious.
5) I have free internet, I am warm, and though I have a massive tired-headache I know I will be able to sleep once I get on my flight.

Sorry about the silence on my end, again. This week has been massively stressful and very busy. I had an inventory to help with at work, a couple projects to finish, packing to deal with, figuring out how to get my stuff to America in a way that Schlumberger would reimburse me for, and saying goodbye to all my friends in the base. Normally, there are no engineers there so this wouldn't be a problem, however 6 or 7 just happen to be there this week, so there were a lot more goodbyes. My maid cried when I gave her a hug goodbye. I am not sure if it was because she was sad I was leaving, or relieved I wouldn't be baking anymore in the kitchen. Either way, I am glad that she felt something towards me. She introduced me to her husband who was there to pick her up, and told me "Happy Marriage" because Adam (who she met over skype once) is "very very handsome."

I will miss several friends I have made at work, and several more that I never actually got to say goodbye to. Cathy and Zhuzhu have worked with/around me for the past 8 months and both are were on rigs when I left. They are good friends. Even when we are all yelling at each other because we are trying to explain technical concepts to each other through massive language barriers and we are frustrated. They are good peoples though. I hope the diversity of the people in the Louisiana base is similar to the diversity here.

I am finally excited to be coming home!!!! At first it felt kind of surreal and I didn't believe it would actually happen. Then after it started become a reality, I was going 100 miles a minute and was too tired to be super excited. Now it is full force (through my on-going exhaustion, of course)! I cannot believe that I am only a plane flight away from being in the United States and bbq! And all of you, of course :)

If nothing else I will be excited to be in the same time zone as most of you, so I can call you and you can call me! Hehe. Even as I am speaking, Helen and I are playing facebook tag, because she keeps typing something and leaving the room, and then I respond and then get off of facebook....

I have American money again. It was so much fun to see the old grouchy looking presidents on the backs of our boring green bills. They are quite pretty, actually. I want to spend it on something!!!!

OH! And here are my flights :

LBU to KUL - Apr 21 - MH2609 (1720 to 1940).............2 hours and 20 minutes long
KUL to SIN - Apr 21 - MI 0339 (2145 to 2240)..............55 minutes long
SIN to DME (Mother RUSSIA!!) - Apr 22 - SQ 0062 ( 0230 to 0910)........10 hours and 40 minutes long
DM to IAH - Apr 22 - SQ 0062 (1040 to 1420)..........12 hours and 25 minutes long
IAH to LFT - Apr 22 - CO 2902 (1740 to 1832)...........52 minutes long

Total time flying : 27 hours and 12 minutes
Total time traveling : aprox 38 hours.

Am I ready to be done with it? Oh yes :) Wish me luck! Hopefully I will be finishing a blanket I am crocheting, getting some sleep, and watching some inflight movies I haven't seen yet. I promise I will stay safe, hydrated, and relatively sane. If I lose a bag though...hehe. No, going crazy. I'll just consider it Malaysia's kiss goodbye. At least Malaysia didn't give me the dengue or some strain of hepatitis!

There have been some not so positive parts of my moving process, but I may tell though stories later. Right now I just wanted to let you know where I was and what is up (sidenote: I will be up soon!) :)

One more positive thing : I have been with Adam for a year as of today, exactly!! It has been one of the most incredible, fun, exciting (and sometimes painful) years of my life and I am so thankful for it.  I remember in the beginning I told him (and everyone else) emphatically that I was breaking up with him at the end of the summer, and that was that. I am not sure I will ever be able to say how happy I am that he got me to change my mind.  I could go on and gush for awhile about his wonderfulness, but, instead if you want to you know you can call me on my new phone number (when I get it) and ask me!

I hope you are all having a good almost-Easter and I cannot wait to hopefully see you all at some point in the near-ish future.

Love you all.

Becca

2 comments:

Tracy said...

So I'm reading your blog from Chipotle while eating a steak bowl with lime chips and guac. Jealous?!?!? Well you should be. I know I am.
Why do you always get to go to places before me?! Germany, asia, and now Russia! Really?!?! I mean my trip there is less that 2months away and you get there first?!?!? BS!
I guess I'll allow it since I want you back so bad! Poor adam must think I am some sort of stocker. I keep seeing him on campus and I've never said hi, I just kinda stare after him. Even Daniel told me I was begin creepy the other day. But I have to watch after your man! What are friend for?! ;)
I can't wait for your return! Travel safely!

Anonymous said...

So happy for you..be safe! See you sooner than later! Happy Anniversary!

Kim