Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My First Alligator :)

From: The intern who misses a good Kansas thunderstorm
To: Ya'll (or Y'all...depends on which southern state you are in)

I did it!! I have had my first, official, Louisiana alligator sighting. In the center of the University of Louisiana, Lafayette there is a swamp area with a low brick wall/fence around it. This enormous pond is full of cyprus trees, ferns, algae, enormous fish, pretty birds, annnnddddd alligators!! I've heard there are three or four in there, including a hefty six-footer that I did not get to see. However, I did see a 1.5 footer that was absolutely adorable! He hissed at us and paddled his little way away from us into the reeds. I would've taken him home with me, but I didn't want to be approached by an angry mama alligator...or angry security people. :) I have also heard of a place called Lake Martin which is a half hour away, and is apparently very swampy and full of alligators. My next goal for the summer is to spend a day there, fishing and animal watching/taking pictures.

So going offshore is not going to become a reality for me this summer. I'll explain this in a different post later, when I can explain it better. However, all I really want to do is D&M regardless of where it is at. So I am still excited because I have been told that I will probably be sent to Colorado or Texas for brief period of time this summer to work on jobs on the land rigs there! The traveling will be nice, even if it is not to the exact place I originally wanted to go this summer. If you think about it though, how many people get exactly what they want when they want it? I am happy with the imperfections in life. Imperfection causes life to be interesting...I hope...

I tried running again today, it was a bust. My lower foot is still bothering me, so instead I ellipticalled. My goal is that even though I might not be able to train for awhile, at least I will stay relatively in shape! It helps that my apartment has 2 pools and a workout room.

Finally I have not gone out to any rigs yet, but I have learned so much! Last year I had to learn all the D&M stuff by myself and onsite. It was super difficult because the first time on an oil rig is pretty overwhelming. However, I am basically going to be going through 2.5 weeks (altogether) of D&M classes taught over our segment of the industry, our software, tools, density theory, and nuclear theory! I will also get to go through shop training, I have an oilfield primer I am reading, and an OIL cd to go through. Basically, if I am bored anytime soon it is my fault. Oh! And I also could possibly get my project tomorrow. My brain is full of stuff and I love it! Time to go study...

Goodnight.

No comments: