Friday, May 27, 2011

The Learning Curve

I am tired. If for no other reason than that I am learning all the time. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as I generally enjoy learning new things. However, not only am I acquiring new knowledge right now, I am also learning about all the things that I've been taught by other engineers (and even in ENG-1) that are wrong. So I have decided to create several rules for myself.

1. Always ask how they do it on THEIR rig. Procedures that should be basic seem to be completed in entirely different ways in different parts of the world (even though we all work for the same company).

2. Never listen to a newer engineer who is on the verge of quitting. They will be wrong. A lot.

3. Drink a lot of water.

4. Always wake up the senior engineer if you have any doubts as to how a part of a job should be done. They are getting paid reduced crew bonus when you are there anyway.
5. Finally: It is an excellent thing to have a former pastry chef from a cruise ship be the head chef in the kitchen of your rig.

One thing I both like and hate about this rig is the stairs up to my unit. I hate them because I am always out of breath by the time I climb them all (and they are winding, so they are also disorientating). I like them because since I sit on my rear end for most of the evening, my trips up and down the stairs make me feel like I am not a completely sedentary person.

My days generally feel pretty short and I only have 3 nights left to work after tonight and then it is civilization again!  Also, Adam is going to help me drive down to Lafayette and I am pretty excited about that.

Wedding planning is standstillish because it is difficult to corral people on things when you work an opposite schedule of them. However, I do have bridesmaids dresses picked out and I am feeling pretty positive about getting other things accomplished when I am within cell phone service of other people next week.

Speaking of which, next week will be so hectic! I am going to fly into Kansas, hopefully have a marriage counselling (sp?) session on Tuesday morning, then pick up my car and drive to Wichita. The next day I am going to be heading to Tulsa where I have a Schlumberger mandated driver training class for 4 days. Finally on Saturday Adam will be accompanying me from Tulsa to Lafayette (9.25 hrs....) and then I am flying him back probably on Monday morning after I head to the rig. Woot! should be a good/busy/interesting, potentially tiring break. But I am happy I'll get to see Adam before his internship starts.

Also speaking of which...Adam's internship location got moved to Houma, LA which is only an hour and 54 minutes away by google's standards. It is so exciting!!!! It means I might be able to get to see him once or twice in the next 2 months. I know that sounds kind of sad, but it is so much better than we have previously gotten, so I'll take it.

I adore the fact that this rig has wireless internet. It is so nice to be able to not have to wait in line for the phone or to go into my room and just call anyone I would like on Skype. It may die sometimes and this may be a little frustrating, but it would be so much more frustrating to have little to no contact with the people I love.

Hmm...lets see. I've started going to the gym out here in the morning. It's a little difficult to get the motivation after working for 12-13 hours every day, but I've figured out that I actually feel a lot better after jogging for even 15 minutes. So now I wander in, do some exercising and wandering out in enough time to call a couple people and fall asleep. Usually there are only one or two other guys in there with me and they leave me alone, so I feel very comfortable going.

The desserts here are incredible, but I have also had to cut down/limit the amount of desserts I put into my life. Mainly because my  job is very sedentary and I cannot exercise as much as I would like. So I have begun forgoing the berry pies, icecream cakes (made from scratch!), mousses, muffins, and cookies in favor of the fruits. I don't miss the pretty desserts too much, but sometimes...*sniff*

And that is pretty much most of my life in a nutshell. Working on a rig is kind of like being in the movie Groundhog Day, and the movie ends when that helicopter flies in on Monday morning!!

I hope you are all have a really excellent Friday!

Love you,

Becca

No comments: