Monday, October 25, 2010

In which the sun professes its utter dislike for me

Hello peoples.

I apologize for how long it has been since my last post. Somehow between finishing up last minute things in Labuan, desperately hoping I was still going to Houston instead of Abu Dhabi, flying, arriving in Abu Dhabi because my plane did not take the detour I was hoping for, being jet lagged and adjusting to a structured life of school (and all it entails) again, time has just flown away from me! I am a little sad that now that I am nine hours ahead it is a bit more difficult for me to communicate with everyone I would like to. Also, typing away maniacally in class on facebook while my teacher is talking, might not put me in her good graces. There are only 8 of us (7 of us are female!!) in our class, so it is difficult to get away with things. Though, to be honest, as long as we seem to be communicating with her, our teacher, Poonam Sharma (from India) doesn't seem to care all that much.

There is not a whole lot to say about my flight out of Malaysia. It was just another flight :) The flight from Labuan to Kuala Lumpur was pretty reasonable and I definitely napped for a bit of it, but the flight from KL to Abu Dhabi had WAY too many children under the age of 4 on it.  Let it be put on record that I support the drugging of children (now lets all hope I never decide to run for public office). And for the last hour of our flight into Abu Dhabi there was just one 2 year old misbehaving for whatever (unacceptable) reason. The noises coming from his lungs were the equivalent of what I'd imagine the death screams/howls of a combo of dog/monkey/cat/horse would sound like. And all the father did was say "please stop. please do not cry." Awesome parenting. This may just be the view of a non-parent, but I really hate having to pay the price for parents who cannot control their children in public. Also, I hope the father felt my wrath and hatred from 4 seats away. HOWEVER the plane flight wasn't bad overall. I got to watch some awesome movies, eat ITALIAN FOOD!!! for the first time in 3 months and have some awesome naps.  Oh! And there was a delicious brownie thing in a cup with a white sauce that rocked my world for the 5 minutes I slowly ate it in.

So, now I am back at the Middle East and Asia Learning Center or, MLC for short. Yeah, I know the acronym doesn't completely match, but Schlumberger really prefers to stop at 3 letters per acronym, it seems. MEA, NGC, ROP, SLC, MLC, etc. School this time is much more interesting than OFS-1 was. I actually am doing hands on things and it feels like I am finally getting to do the stuff that they gave me this job for. It's nice to feel productive again. As I said earlier, there are 8 students in my class (which is quite small, we've been told) and 7 of them are female (which has never happened for D&M before).  The only guy, Sandford, and I are from America, Marie is Norwegian, Cathy is Indonesian, Zhuzhu and Jie Ni (pronounced "Genie) are Chinese, and Rihab (pronouced "Rehab) is Tunisian.  All of them are very nice, actually. And all the other guys in ENG-1 classes here keep saying that Sanford is very lucky.

A lot of things we do in class here consist of 45 min to an hour of talking and then 3 to 5 hours of hands on stuff. So today I got to experience my first Abu Dhabi sun experience, as we had to do stuff (in order to not make this longer and confusing) on the rig. Sadly, it won this round, but with the help of my friend's sunscreen I will win the next.

Also..FOOD UPDATE: The food here, though still...not the best, has so much variety!! There are so many vegetables. And yesterday I discovered lettuce. :)  So I may just stick with the oatmeal in the morning and veggies and fruit for the rest of the day because I love them!! Also, I haven't eating a rice or noodle based dish in 3 days and it is amazing! Don't get me wrong, Malay food is actually pretty good tasting, but I do like to think outside of the rice/noodle box.

Well, this is long enough, but I will keep you posted on things!!

Love you all.

Becca

No comments: