Thursday, October 7, 2010

Would you like to hear the good news or the bad news first?

This is what I said as I walked into the travel agent's office yesterday morning after I found  out that, out of the blue, my Engineer 1 school had been moved from Houston, TX to Abu Dhabi, UAE. In reality, there was no good news, and thankfully he just asked for the bad news so I could deliver it and be on my way. So yeah, no boyfriend, cheese, family, friends, or american accents for me until December 23rd now. I am still trying to find positive things to say about this, really. I guess my only good news today is that I am still coming back to America afterwards to see y'all for about 15 days.

On a brighter note, as I begin to accept my disappointment, I also begin to feel a little better. I knew going into this job that I would have to be more flexible than I've ever been in my life. I know they will push me mentally, physically and emotionally. Will I be able to handle this in the end? We will see. I've given myself a trial year. I have a year to really figure out if I can/want to take what this job can dish out (doing and internship and the real thing...definitely different). Maybe mum is right and I will find out I am more flexible and adaptable than I previously thought I could be. And if I am not? Well, I do know there is still life beyond this point and this job. There are other jobs out there and career paths to take. Not everyone gets it right the first time. Some people don't get it right the 4th, 5th, or 6th time either. Hopefully I don't have to go all the way up to 6.

In the meantime, it is still an adventure. I can derail party conversations from years to come with "oh, this one time in Malaysia..." Bwahahaha. To mom and dad : it will be my new version of the Adam story whenever you decide to argue in my presence. :)

I love you all. I'll just see you a bit later than I thought :)

Becca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Disappointing! Poor Becca! You have such a good attitude...It's the lemons-into-lemonade sometimes that keeps life interesting. We never know for sure what tomorrow will bring, and if every tomorrow seems predictable and the same, day after day, life can seem a little dull. Besides this gives you the opportunity to show your strength of character by not letting it get you down...which you haven't. It always takes me at least 20 minutes to snap out of it after I've been jolted...I think it just takes that much time for the adrenaline to work it's way out of my system.

Love you...wishing you the best.

G'ma J