Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Wednesday Night

Hello all :)

This week has been bopping along with its normal time moving business. It started out with a really fun Sunday. Zyra (front receptionist), Zarina(surface technician), one of Zyra's friends, Cathy, Kara, and I went to a Malay wedding early in the morning. It was so cool! They kind of mix the ceremony and reception together and there is a ton of food! We didn't see the ceremony but we did get to see where it took place, which is an elaborate throne area set up inside the house. Outside the house is where the band (with electric guitars and drums) was set up, along with the buffet line full of food and the chairs, all under one big tent. The close everyone was wearing were beautiful and the food was good. Also, Kara and I had our pictures taken. A lot. I felt very celebrity-esque and it was kinda fun. :) I will list (in short paragraph form) all the places we went on sunday.

The Bird Park. Lots of birds all over the place!! They were all birds from Asia and Australia, so I saw quite a few birds I don't normally see in some zoos in America. They were all colorful and so much fun to wander around looking at. Scariest bird award goes to the ostriches. They were definitely not behind enough wire to make me feel remotely safe near the cage. and they were so huge with ginormously long necks!

The Chimney. It has a museum dedicated for it, but no one knows what it was used for in the past. It just looks like a really really tall chimney. Some people think it was a point where the mining cars went through and others believe it was kind of like a lighthouse, since it is on one of the tallest points on the island.

Lunch. At this point Zhuzhu joined us as well, so we headed to the Chicken and Rice Shop in the mall. It was more noodles in my already noodle and rice filled life, but it was quite good.

Bowling! My first international bowling experience was so much fun! I didn't do very well but I really enjoyed myself. Zyra won and Zhuzhu got second. I ended up somewhere in the middle. I have some great action shots of all the women bowling. We were loud, cheer-y, and it was one of the most enjoyable bowling experiences I have had.

The Sea Sports museum. They had lots of live fishes swimming around! I wanted to touch the stingray but I was scared. There were crabs, starfish, blue fish, red fish, nemo fish, and eels.

WWII memorial. It was raining so we didn't get out of the car, but it was still beautiful, even in the rain.

Malaysian/Labuan History Museum. Labuan was actually really important during WWII. It was taken by the Japanese before they took out the rest of SE Asia (from what I understand) and it was one of the first islands that the allied troops fought to get back when they were launching their offensive in this part of the world. I also got to see traditional instruments and important-occasion-dress for men and women of the different cultures that make up Malaysia. Indian, Malay, Chinese, and one group that started with a K whose  name I don't remember. All very pretty and shiny.

Finally, the Peace Park and Surrender Point. The Peace Park is another WWII memorial. It is funny because there is a rock with the odd phrasing of "Peace is Best" in it. Such a weird way to state it, but such a true statement at the same time. Surrender Point is the area where the Japanese officially surrendered to the allied troops (I believe the commanding general was Australian). A lot of men died fighting over this little tiny island. 

And the last part of the day involved stopping at another outdoor eating area for bbq chicken wings, Sate (chicken on a stick), and coconut juice. Promise I will put up pictures on facebook of all this very soon!

This week has been very busy. There are a couple more engineers in the office right now so I can ask them my questions and it is nice. However, both of them are soon going back out to rigs so we will be mentor-less again. :) I am leaving in a week, though, so I am not too worried about this. Soon my school will start and then time really will fly!

I will write more later but I am tired now.

Love you guys!

Becca

No comments: