Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Happy Birthday Grandma!!!

G'ma : I apologize for this being a day late, however I had a test to study for this morning, so no blogging last night! However, I wanted to make sure to tell you Happy Birthday and that I hope it was wonderful for you! I heard you had a birthday party and I cannot wait to hear about it. Maybe I will be able to find a sim card tomorrow in the main mall in Abu Dhabi so I can call you. I will definitely try!

On the realm of other things in life that are extraordinarily less exciting. Classes go on! It is not difficult yet, but I am waiting for them to potentially become so. Right now we are doing all the things that I actually remember learning about for the past two months. I'm a little bit scared about loading sources and all the stuff we have to learn for MaxWell (a computer program we use on the rigs). However, both of those things are definitely in the future, so I think I can patiently wait for their arrival.

I have discovered how much I really love the desserts in MLC, this means I really need to stick to my plan for running/ellipticalling/etc every evening. The nice thing is that everyone works out right after class (and before dinner) so the gym is relatively empty by the time I get there so there is no waiting for machines! I promise I will be taking pictures of all this so I can upload a couple and show the rest to y'all over CHRISTMAS! If you can't tell, I am really excited for being cold and potentially really jetlagged in less than 2 months :)

This weekend looks like it will be pretty interesting. My weekends here now are Fridays (Muslim holy day) and Saturday, so I will be going into Abu Dhabi on Thursday evening, as well as Friday during the day. The rest of my time will be spent sleeping, studying for my test, and, of course, having my weekly date with Adam. My first test is actually Sunday morning at 8:30 am, so I hope I do well on it. Everyone says it is easy, so I feel a little more relaxed, but I'm not going to just ignore studying altogether. Also, I might get Zhuzhu to teach me how to play ping pong better. She is apparently a pro. :)

I have discovered what is truly one of the most challenging (yet enjoyable) parts of my job: highly intelligent people asking questions and arguing over technical concepts when none of them speak the same base language. Today I worked with my group made up of the girls from Indonesia, China, and Brazil. There were several times we were all stating the same concepts, but none of us could understand them because each of us slightly different terminology (exactness is kind of important to engineers!). It was both hilarious and kinda fun, yet tiring and frustrating at times. I am quite glad all the women in my group are both patient (more patient than me!) and nice.

Well, I think it is time for some gym stuff, but I hope you are having wonderful Wednesdays. It is almost the weekend!

Love you.

Becca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca...
Thank you for your Birthday Wishes. Yes, it was a great day and a fun party...I'll post sone pictures on FB. My gift from Wendell is two months in Florida this winter...Sandy and Walt are going with us, and since the place sleeps 6, we have friends and relatives coming to spend a week each there with us...can't wait...but first, I can't wait to see you at Christmas! I'm wrapped up in the afgan you made for me. It is Little Bit's and my favorite.

Love you,

G'ma J