Friday, August 13, 2010

And today...was a good day :)

Its funny, you know, just when I am prepared to be miserable and sick for the rest of my time spent in Malaysia...I am surprised in the sweetest ways.

Today started out the way the past 4 days have started out. I have had an intense headache, neck ache, nausea, and tiredness. To sum up; very unhappy. So many times in the past couple of days I thought, "wow, I really just want to go home where I understand people and there is a wal-mart, taco bell, and my car. Maybe I can do something horrible and they will deport me..." Lol. Yes, I know it sounds a little stupid, but it was actually a bit of a hopeful thought.

So I just accepted being able to get through the day so I could go home and sleep, probably without the ability to eat anything or enjoy myself. But I did go to the medic and he gave me some orange stuff to put in my water in order to help me not feel sick that tasted like orange slime, but I sipped it anyway.  It didn't do a lot to make me feel better so I was trepidatious when it lunch time came around. A trainee that is only here for a week, Kanchana, knew that I haven't been feeling well and she was going to go out to lunch with some Indian employees, but she stayed to go to lunch downstairs with me because she didn't believe I would go if someone wasn't there to make me. So we went to lunch and I got some rice and chicken (I  might've offended the staff by not trying the dodgy looking coleslaw thing or the weird veggies) and watermelon, and though I was full quickly I did not feel sick!

My head still hurt, but I made it through a lot more studying in the afternoon.  Later before work ended, I was invited to go to the bazar with Syaiful, Syafyka, and Kanchana. Background: during the day here (as it is now Ramadan) all those that are Muslim do not eat or drink anything. But, at 6:35 pm they break their fast and so throughout this entire month, these places called bazars are set up and large numbers of food sellers all set up tents together and you walk around and get food from them (which to be honest probably is slightly unsanitary) and take it home to eat it. I got some noodles, some grilled chicken on sticks, and a chocolate cupcake! It was the best chocolate cupcake ever. And I was hesitant to go at first, but it was a really fun! I got to spend time with my housemates, see a little bit of Malay culture, and just enjoy being outside. And I still feel really good. I am happy for the first time in awhile and it is so nice! My friend Syafyka commented that she had never seen me like this before, which made me a little sad because normally I am very outgoing and full of fun. I hope this is a bit of a turning point.

Funny-ness: Though people do stare at me, I rarely get stared at openly. I love being out in public with families around, though, because all the little kids are not told it is rude to stare. So I always have 2-10 year old kids that watch my every move and arrange them selves around their parents when I move so they can get a better look at me.  Its actually pretty hilarious, to be honest.

Also, best moment of the day (potentially, as the day isn't over yet) is when I had this weird gelatinous-y pink and white dessert. It tasted exactly like SUGAR COOKIE! Yeah. I found sugar cookie in Malaysia, y'all can be jealous now.

Anyway, tomorrow could be better or worse, but I am just thankful that today was good. I love you all. :)

Becca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm soooo sorry you've been so miserable!...but very happy you've found some relief...hope it lasts.

Love you, G'ma J