Monday, August 16, 2010

Are you Britney Spears?

Much to my equal parts disgust, amusement and dismay (well..disgust and dismay might have been a little more far up there than amusement) I was asked this question by a guy about my age in the bazaar yesterday evening when Hanif, Syafyka and I went there to grab some food. Of course he asked it flirtatious/jokingly, as she is about 10 sizes smaller than me, blonde, and I was wearing my blue PPE and probably looked like a very tall (to those around me) mechanic. Of course, as I try not to meet anyone’s eyes as I walk in public (I don’t look like a victim or anything, dad, don’t worry…just not directly at any one person for more than a second) as, generally, they are staring at me first, I didn’t hear him correctly and thought he was speaking Malay to me. Then as I said, “excuse me?” He repeated the question, I didn’t get it again and looked at Syafyka who was laughing beside me. He said it one more time as she did and I got it. A little flabbergasted (usually they stare..I’m rarely approached), I didn’t really know how to respond except with, “Yeah, definitely not.” And I said this he stuck out his hand and said, “It’s nice to meet you, I am David Beckham.” I laughed and shook his hand, all the while remembering while I only go out in public places for short spurts of time. Then, about 10 minutes later, I was walking by another stall in the bazaar (with Syafyka and Hanif) and another guy nudges his guy friend and says something like, “hey sugar, what’s up?” Again, I didn’t know what to do so I pretended I didn’t hear him and went on. I suppose I could’ve turned around and destroyed him verbally (and physically, hey…they grow’em small here) but it’s not worth my time. Does get a bit annoying though. Syafyka finally noticed today how much attention I get in public and for her that is exciting. She actually asked if it is fun to be the center of attention and (you can quote me parentals!) it is NOT. It’s not like I am harassed and feel constantly heckled, but I definitely feel uncomfortable in public. I can only ignore the staring so much. Every food stand or supermarket stall is full of people who just watch me silently (or not so silently sometimes). I went to an open air meat selling place and yup, every single person I saw was watching me…slightly unnerving. It’s even funnier when I wear shorts…I am a very pasty/pink sort of person :).


For the record, I do like that in America it is considered rude to stare.

Besides that, my day was not super eventful. Nor was my weekend for that matter. I definitely slept for about 60 percent of my day on Sunday and I feel amazing for it!! Then today I got a ton of studying/learning done, got food at the bazaar, and found out that not only does SLB pay for our gym membership here, but I can also join aerobics and yoga classes for free in the evenings!! I think I am going to start out with the aerobics class and move on to yoga if I don’t fail miserably at the latter (or former…I always get so confused with those). Also, I got to talk to Adam on his drive back from North Carolina this evening from another engineer’s house, so that helped finish off my day in just the right way. The reason I am calling from the engineer’s house is that my own doesn’t have internet yet. I hope this happens soon!!

Well, I am going to bed now, with Humphrey, my traveling tiger friend sitting next to my bed as the maid thoughtfully arranged him there today. I hope y’all are having a slightly cooler day in America, where ever you happen to be.

Love from your very own Malaysian Britney Spears...

2 comments:

Mom said...

Let me see...where is that thing...I just took it off a little while ago...Ah here it is...*puts sack back on my head.*

Anonymous said...

Yes, we've had a "cool down" for a few days, but I hear the heat is on it's way back. A bunch of us drove down to Pomona and had a picnic dinner by the lake this evening...beautiful weather right now.

Love you,

G'ma J