Friday, August 27, 2010

Bored in an Airport so...blog!!

Woot! Time to blog, so I am going to make another post. I am currently sitting in the Miri airport. Of course, there is not internet so instead I am watching Glee!! Yes, it seems like my glee obsession is a bit pathetic, but you have to realize it is one of the few movies/shows I have on my computer. My extensive list of media is rounded out with 2 seasons of Big Bang Theory, When in Rome, and The Sorcerer’s Apprentice. I don’t love When in Rome all that much (too…gushy), really super like the Sorcerer’s Apprentice and thus don’t want to over-watch it, and can only handle so much of the laugh track on Big Bang Theory, so Glee is it!!


Anyway, good show. Good show.

So let’s people watch! Across from me is an old Malay woman with a long black dress/robe on, with a white headdress/scarf (I need to learn the names of these things!). She is reading a book in a way that looks backwards and upside down, but I believe she is actually reading in Arabic. Oh…now she’s gone. Maybe my shorts wearing bothered her. Or, actually, I think her plane is loading peoples at the moment. So now my 5 person row and the 5 person row facing me are both gone. Woot!! I like it when I am the autonomous owner of many rows. It was the same way when I was eating my McDonalds earlier. In my defense, I got it “take-away” at a mall in town as my driver was taking me to the airport this afternoon. I asked if there was a place to eat it and the lady checking me in at the airport looked at me weird and said, “anywhere…” so that is what I did! The only reason I even asked is that since it is Ramadan right now and it’s kind of a big deal here, it is considered impolite to eat in front of Muslims because they are fasting. However, as it is difficult to tell who is Muslim unless they are wearing the religious/traditional dress, I just ate my delicious fries and hoped no one would get upset with me.

Speaking of Miri…there is civilization and stuff in this country!!! I consider this incredibly exciting because the choices for things in Labuan are very…limited. So based on Labuan, I assumed that most of Malaysia was like this. Lies, friends! Miri is not western-y by any means, however it does have variety. And clothing stores that include clothing I could/would want to wear. Also, The Body Shop is here!!!!!!! For those of you who do not know what the body shop is; it is like Bath and Body Works with more perfume and 10x the delicious smells! I have been ordering their stuff off of the internet for like 2 years (not very often as it is not cheap) and I am so excited that this one is only a 40 minute flight from me. Next time I come to Miri you can bet where I am going to visit. Also there is a much wider food variety. Italian, Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, legit Thai; all the food is here! Sadly, there is no D&M segment in Miri, so there is no way I will ever be transferred here to take advantage of it. I can only hope they lose my paperwork for sea survival so I can come again.

Important news: There is a crocodile farm about 30 minutes outside of Miri. Next time I come through here I can promise you that I will be visiting this farm. As a result you will either here reports that I had to change pants, or that I have semi-conquered my ridiculous fear o’ the croc. I will never completely conquer my fear because to do that I will have to successfully wrestle and kill one. I will never get close enough to wrestle one, so there is a bit of an impasse there.

Ha! One more guy has sat down a couple seats from me. He is older. Oh..wait…he is leaving too. Bwahaha! My human deterrent perfume (aka not showering) is working! Just joking, mum. Promise I shower on a regular basis here.

Well, there is a Coffee Bean in this airport, and as I am kind of bored (and I’ve just finished my 4th episode of Glee today) I feel like I should get up and let feeling come to my bum again. It will be painful.

Hmm…someone sensed I am about to get up. Now a younger guy who is furiously texting on his phone has sat down a couple seats from me. I am considering staying in order to try and propel him away, but I feel as if it wouldn’t be fair. AH! Another older darker guy has sat across from me! Darnit. My repellant is failing. Also the airport has become quite crowded in the last 10 minutes.

Anyway, love you all. I am almost “home.”

Becca

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...you can turn anything into an evil empire! :) Love you!
-Helen

Anonymous said...

Careful young Skywalker, you must be resistant to the temptation of the darkside... use your powers wisely!

JK!

Amanda :-)

Anonymous said...

=)

Love you,

G'ma J