Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Mayonnaise, Plantains, and what?!

Selemat Malam!

So disclaimer/warning: this post might not be the most positive, though I will try. Currently I am curled up in bed fighting nausea from what I think was a small piece of bread with a piece of hotdog inside and what could've been mayonnaise cooked on top. In my defense, the label in the pastry shop called it "cheese." I clearly need to introduce this country to the realities of cheese. Hmm..now that I think of it, I actually haven't eaten legit cheese on or in anything since I left the states. Yup, if you are ever having a bad day, now you can think, "hmm...but I have cheese and Becca does not." All I require of you for thinking such a thing is to (after you have eaten the cheese) get online and send me a message some way telling me how awesome the cheese tasted, so I can live vicariously through you.  As I talk to Adam quite a bit, I get to hear about his meals on a daily basis, which though it sounds a little weird and masochistic, is kind of awesome. Homemade chocolate cake, yummm :)

Second warning: this will be all about food. I love food. I miss loving food and looking forward to eating it. Currently 2/3 of my diet consists of coffee, water, tea, and cocoa puffs. I love this country for having cocoa puffs. It's one of the few foods (also...McDonalds hamburgers..who'd have thought?!) that taste pretty much the same as something from home. Even the cookies/crackers taste different. The buttercream chocolate cake would've broken my heart if I hadn't been watching lions kill wildebeests on tv at the same time. Those lions are crazy distracting.

Sometimes the food here tastes like American food, yet is definitely not the same thing. Example: Plantains. The initial thought (due to the sauce they had on them) I had was, "hey! This tastes like lasagna." The second thought was, "Chewy...slimy...just get it down!!" A variation of this is what happens most lunches there. It is like a groundhog day moment. I have a couple bites of the chicken, attempt the veggies, and then end up consuming 5 or 6 bites of rice before my digestive system gives up. Then I go back upstairs for a handful of my trusty companion, the cereal box. I think I will name the cereal box....um...Janice as it is pretty much a constant companion.

My coworkers keep asking if I am dieting. I think it would be funny to come back with, "What?! You think I am fat?" :)  However, instead I go with the tried and true, "oh, I am just not that hungry today. My stomach isn't quite used to eating such big meals."  Works pretty well, I think.

Oh yes. K. Itemized list of things I have eaten so far that have left an impression on me:
  • Fish - This is a first timer for me. I usually love fish! The fish here just seems to be more..pungent. :)
  • Cake - Yup...uber dry and kind of flavorless. I mean, if I am going to put empty calories in my body, it better be delicious, people!
  • Plantains...really? who invented these? Well, yes, God did. However, did someone really have to decide to start cooking them?
  • Cookies - Actually haven't had a Malaysian cookie. I am afraid. I love cookies to much to have them ruined for me.
  • Eggs - pretty much the same. It's hard to mess up and egg, I think. :)
  • McDonalds - I don't think I have ever been so excited about greasy fast food in my entire life.
  • Pizza Hut - potentially better than American pizza hut people!!
  • Koh Lo Me (n?) - noodle dish with chicken on top...first time I had it, was excellent, second time I went to a different restaurant...not so impressive.
  • Cocoa Puffs - I appreciate you Janice, I really do.
  • Coffee...instant...not so bad, actually. :)
  • Chicken and Rice - it doesn't taste bad or anything, but theres not a lot of flavor here.
Um...think this is it so far. Everything else I've had didn't effect me or I don't remember it. As I told G'ma and Adam, I think that models shouldn't go on diets of celery and such. They should just come stay in Malaysia for a couple months. Same result, just cheaper than getting a dietician :) Anyway, it has been an interesting food adventure so far. I cannot lie and say I've completely enjoyed it, but I will say that I cannot wait for my stomach to start adjusting to the differences. If not, there is always cocoa puffs! :)

Love you all.

Becca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you soon find a restaurant that serves tasty food. Wish I could send you some of my butterhorn rolls and BBQ meatballs!

Love you, G'ma J