Monday, August 23, 2010

An aunt in less than a month!!!!

This post really hasn't got a lot to do with that title, but I am looking forward to my new niece so much! Plus..only the cool people get to be aunts :)

Anyway life in Malaysia has been pretty nice recently. I have met/become friends with more people. Most of the engineers I have met here are incredibly nice. And those people I don’t think I will ever become buddies with are at least..interesting.


My weekend was incredibly nice, by the way. On Sunday morning I woke up, (almost late!!) and got ready for my skype date with Adam, which was awesome! We ate pizza hut together and watched No Country for Old men. The internet dodged out on us a couple times, but I completely enjoyed myself anyway. Dating internationally (though not the optimal dating situation, of course), is actually fun as long as both people are not crazy and unreasonable. Luckily, I happen to be dating an incredibly sane, reasonable, amazing guy, so I have no complaints! Whether or not I am sane is always up for debate I suppose. Anyway, so after watching the movie and talking for awhile, he went to bed and I hung out with my roommate, Syafyka. Both of us were feeling lazy, so we watching shows like Australia’s Next Top Model and the movie specials brought to us by way of the cable here. Sunday was also incredibly rain (still!) so I had the perfect excuse to stay inside and laze around. Later on we went to the bazaar (more awkward staring, of course) and I got a flat noodle that I really like along with CUPCAKES!! There is no substitute in this world for a good chocolate cupcake. But yes, got food, then ate with one of Syafyka’s college friends who was super nice and then we played a card game that I don’t know the name of, but definitely plan to teach to my friends and family (you have been warned!) when I head back to the U.S.

Oh, I figured out why the staring bothers me so much today while waiting for a SLB van to pick me up from the bank. I think it is because in the U.S., we stare very discreetly or not at all. If someone is staring at you, then, it is because they are about to invade your personal space in some way (approach you with you wanting them too) or because they are being threatening in some way. So even though the people here are super nice, I think I feel a little threatened when people stare at me constantly. Woot! Glad to finally figure that one out.

Mk. Onto more interesting things. So today I talked to my boss and not only do I have the go-ahead to get my flights for school in Houston, but I also have the go ahead to tack my proposed vacation onto it!! Guess who will be home for the holidays!!! I legitimately do NOT have to sing “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas…” and feel nostalgic and sad. I will be there!!! Barring any unforeseen/crazy things happening, of course. I will not feel like it is completely real until I am holding those plane tickets in my hand (or until I step off the plane into Kansas!). Hopefully I will be able to take care of getting that started tomorrow morning.

Speaking of tomorrow; also guess who has to go BACK to the Klinik again? Yup, that would be me. They did not take enough blood last time, so I get to head back to share some more with them. I’m sure it will be another interesting, and hopefully shorter, experience this time.

Tonight I am doing a little packing, actually because I get to head off to Miri for sea survival training stuff tomorrow at 8 pm! It’s just a 40 minute flight over there, and then I will head into the hotel and prep for the next day. I’ve heard the class is pretty fun and interesting. Adwa (a super nice engineer here) told me today that the first time he went he was very excited and the second time (you have to be recertified every 3 years) all he could think was, “I’m too old for this!” I am definitely looking forward to the next 3 days regardless of how the course goes. It will be my first traveling-by-self experience in Malaysia. However, my flights, transport to-and-from hotel, as well as hotel stay are already taken care of, so I’m pretty taken care of to start with!

Well, it is late and I am old and tired. I will tell you about my aerobics class later because it was pretty sweet.

 Excited!

Becca

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, only cool people get to be aunts...

Your sister, Amanda

Anonymous said...

That's right. We wouldn't let just anyone be an aunt to our little girl. ;-)

Ross & Helen