Friday, November 19, 2010

Part One of Three : Holiday!!!

Ok, because this might be a bit long. Instead of giving you one massive post, I will make it three parts focussing on my holiday, scuba diving, and adam coming to visit! I'll probably post them all in the next 24 hours or maybe in the next six, depending on how much I am enjoying my studying this evening. But here it goes..the holiday!

First off, why would I be given a holiday in the middle of school? Well, because Muslims seem to have quite a few religious holidays and in the UAE, it is actually law that people have to be let off work for them. Not only that, even though our holidays are usually 1 to 2 days, theirs tend to last for 2-5 days each. Convenient for them, however not quite convenient sometimes for the western businesses working in the country. For example, as I awesomely found out when I tried to mail a package, both DHL and UPS CLOSE here for the entire week during which Eid (spelling..not sure, it is not my religious holiday) is being celebrated. The only businesses that generally stay open are (a) restaurants, (b) malls, and (c) hotels. A lot of money is spent during this time because people in the UAE tend to have no other activities, it seems, but to do that.

So as it seems we have no choice, a forced vacation is necessary, and...ta-da! Adventures are born. Yes, I did study. Quite a bit, and I will actually be doing more of it this evening, so I don't have to do as much when Adam is here. However, I have done many other things with my spare time as well. I have had some excellent meals in more westerny restaurants in the city, I have slept crazy large amounts of my time away, and I decided to become a certified scuba diver!

And overall, the holiday has been quite lovely. I'm still lacking enough sleep, but I feel like I can attack this next week (and maybe the rest of the course as well!) with renewed energy!

Really wish I could take a 2 year vacation from everything and just lay by a beach, though. I think that sounds wonderful!

Love

Becca

No comments: