Thursday, November 4, 2010

Weird goals...

Have you ever wanted something so bad you would try any avenue in order to have obtain it?  Well, that is how I feel about pumpkin pie. they had "pumpkin pie" here as a dessert the other day. It was a shame that that might be the only taste my international friends have of pumpkin pie in their lives, because it was like a crumbly crust with pumpkin jelly on top *shudder*. Anyway, so, even though it is still between 85 and 90 degrees every day and sunny, I am craving pumpkin pie. There is just something about 23 years of tradition that cannot be drowned out, even by large amounts of Lamb-In-Sauce main courses. However, my problem is (was, really) that I don't have an oven or measuring ingredients. So I decided to look up microwaveable pumpkin pie and I hit the jackpot!!! So I've found 2 recipes that I think might do the trick, my only worry is that I won't be able to find canned pumpkin here, but we will see :) Wish me luck. And yes, I am also buying whipped cream. And I got Cathy (from Indonesia) to promise to at least try it! So, actually, I should probably buy 2 cans of pumpkin because I have a feeling my first attempt might not go smoothly.

The rest of my life has been going ok. We have hit the "winter" season here. I have taken this to mean only that the temperature doesn't get above 100 degrees on any given day. It is usually about 75 to 80 when I get up and then it fluctuates between 85 and 90 for the rest of the day, depending on if it is cloudy or not. The UAE is rarely cloudly in my (rather limited) experience. And there usually aren't breezes of any sort, but overall it is not as miserable here as it was in the end of July. Note to those of you wishing to visit the "exciting" city of Abu Dhabi : do not go in the middle of the year. End of the year is definitely best.

School is still not super difficult yet, but I think it will start to increase in difficulty next week. We jump right in with practicals (hands on exercises) for the SlimPulse, which is one of the more basic tools my company uses. I have 6 power point presentations I need to go through, understand, and remember in the next 2 days so it will involve a lot of memorizing on my part!  Learning is not difficult to do here, it is just the regurgitating the information later when it is needed that tends to be the difficult part.

The food is still...the food. I found some feta (sp?) cheese in the cafeteria, but that is it. Maybe I'll try and find a block of it in Abu Dhabi tomorrow when I am at the mall. Then eat it in wonderful little pieces. Realllllyy miss cheese. And cake that tastes good. These people have no clue how to make a good cake. However, they are quite good at stew-types of dishes.

I am running with an actual schedule now and it is so nice (and painful!). I found out that I have a class on the day I wanted to run the 1/2 marathon, but there is also a race in Dubai the week before so I think I'll try to run that one instead! It's only 10 miles, but hey, 10...13...it's just for fun in the end anyway.

And, finally, I cannot wait for sleep! I have been so tired all day today (didn't get enough sleep last night either) and I am excited for maybe some real sleep this evening. So with that, I am going to head to bed only an hour later than I originally planned!

Have a good day.

Becca

No comments: