Monday, December 6, 2010

In Which I Realize I Know Less than I Previously thought.

So today was my first, and only, rig practical before my final rig assessment in two weeks. This practical incorporates almost every single thing I have learned in the past 7 weeks about tool maintenance, programming, communication, running in hole, and various wellsite tests. And it has to be complete in 8 or 9 hours. This would be awesome if everything was in the place it was suppose to be. HOWEVER, other groups use the rig and move around our cables to different computers, and on the day of the final assessment, the job of the instructor and roughnecks is to make it as challenging for us as possible. This means they challenge us when we give them instructions, walk off with our hand tools if we leave them in the open somewhere, and move our sensors and cables around while we are working with them. Then we end up having to troubleshoot a problem they created. So yeah, it'll be a stretch.

Today was pretty rough though. Everything that could go wrong during the first part of the day, did go wrong, which led to way more troubleshooting than I've ever done before. It was more stressful than on a real rig, because we have the instructor there demanding answers the second I am a little bit unsure, and sometimes I feel that if I don't know something, no one else in my group will know how to do it. Thus I feel like I have to know absolutely everything and it is frustrating when I can't remember tiny details. And my external hard drive got a virus that turns everything into .exe files and it got to my computer. So tomorrow i get to hand over my computer to IT and let them not only clean up the external hard drive, but also reformat the C drive on my computer to fix it. I feel kinda violated...like my external hard drive is a carrier of stds or something.

The second half of the day was better as it mainly involved running in the hole with our bha (bottom hole assembly..our tools) and some pipe. There were still problems, but none of them were unfixable to too frustrating. Or I might've been too tired at that point to really care. It's so possible.

Anyway, the end of the day has arrived! I am almost ecstatic about this. I am ready to not be dealing with today and everything it has involved. All I have left is to create a job report with my group tonight (only 3 or 4 hours more, I think), then I am home free for tomorrow and I can SLEEP!!!

Hope your Mondays are full of less headaches than mine was!!

Love,

Becca

No comments: