Thursday, December 2, 2010

Cars, Fireworks, Walking, and naps!

This week has been a little bit hectic. Still playing catch-up due to our large amount of holidays, our class spent most of the week learning, studying, and preparing for our two practical examinations that took place on Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning. Each exam took 40 minutes, and I think (crossing fingers and turning around 3 times) that I passed them both. I know for sure I rocked the first one, and the 2nd one was a bit dodgy. Well, I guess as long as I don't get a warning letter (which we get after failing our first exam) I will be doing ok.

This week has also been significant because it is the first time I have truly felt the pressure of trying to learn so many things at once weigh down on me, as well the first time I have had friends (2..one here and one at another school) be sent home because of not passing 2 exams. It felt like a bit of a reality check; as if for the first time I realize I am not invincible and that it is actually quite easy to fail school here. All you need are 2 off days.

So, needless to say,  my entire class was a little bit stressed as Wednesday approached. Since we had Thursday off (UAE national birthday celebration..39 yrs old today!), we decided to go out and enjoy ourselves on Wednesday evening. A couple of friends went to the gold centre and a couple more went to the pool in the city all day. The rest of us just relaxed after our last exam, then went into Abu Dhabi to a Chinese restaurant, where our Chinese friends ordered the food for us and we got to try 6 or 7 different dishes. My favorite? The wontons. My least favorite? Well, that would be a tie between the jellyfish bits and the deviled duck eggs. I tried way more food than I would ever had the guts to try if I walked into the restaurant alone, and for that I am greatful for Zhuzhu and Ni Jie. After that I went to see Harry Potter again with a couple of friends, then we headed back to MLC.

This morning was the last morning for people I am good friends with from the other ENG-1 class to be here before they flew back to their respective countries so we decided we would go out and make a day of it relaxing in Abu Dhabi. We got manicures and pedicures (I have purple nails now..KSU!!), we found a hotel with a nice beach and took naps on it for several hours while some of our friends jet ski-ed, and then we headed to a mall to watch another movie (Tangled!!). The entire day was awesome and fun and completely laid back. Probably the craziest part was trying to get transportation through the city. Due to the holiday, the people of this country like to drive around in their huge (and decorated) cars honking, and spraying silly string, and letting their children stand up through the sun roof while they are driving. Also, most taxis are very busy, so in order for us to get a taxi home tonight we had to hike about 4-5 miles across town to even find taxi drivers. Tanya's and my taxi driver was an incredibly nice guy from Ethiopia and he played us traditional music in the car on the way back!

I could definitely handle a couple more days like that. Instead, I am starting on MaxWell tomorrow and working on it for the next 2 days straight. Oh yes, the joys...:) Anyway, I love you all but I am tired and full  of the need for sleep. I hope youa re having a wonderful Thursday!

Love

Becca

No comments: